What can you do against the climate change? – Part 1: Help save the Earth with your diet!

(if you wish to read this article in its original Hungarian version, click here)

Beef and palm olive, the two worst things for the environment. If we would just take these two off our menu, it would save the Earth. Moreover, hunger would cease around the world. Sounds unbelievable, right? That doesn’t make it any less true… Let me tell you why:

You can find palm olive in almost every food you comsume, because it’s the cheapest kind of food olive. That’s why big multinational companies are mostly putting palm olive into their products. We pay a big price for this because hectares of rain forests are being cut down in order to make space for palm olive plantations. This is bad for everyone. Not only does it emiss tons of carbon-dioxide into the atmosphere, but it’s also killing the ecosystem, which keeps the balance of the climate by processing CO2. So how can we decrease our consumption of palm olive? This is a great question because naturally, we don’t have the time, nor the energy to read the small print on everything we want to buy and see if it contains palm olive or not. Palm olive also has a lot of names so that the companies can disguise it from the costumers. The easiest way to decrease our palm olive consumption is to buy food produced in our own country instead of multinational products (for example in Hungary we should buy Hungarian food with Hungarian origins, from Hungarian companies). Palm olive is not likely to be found in these products. Doing this means you also cut your carbon-emission, because these foods don’t travel as much as others to get to the shops.

Beef is also responsible for killing the rain forests, even more than palm olive. During their lives cows get a big amount methane into the atmosphere, which is a 23 times stronger climate gas than carbon-dioxide. For the production of 1 kg of beef, a 70 times bigger land is needed than for 1 kg of vegetables or fruits. So if we wouldn’t eat beef and on these pieces of land we would grow vegetables and fruits instead, we could decrease hunger on the Earth. I know this depends on other factors too, but this shows how harmful beef is to the environment and to society. Eating one hamburger with beef in it equals to the emission of the same amount of carbon-dioxide as working an air conditioning unit for 24 hours or going 30-40 kilometers with a normal car would. By replacing beef with chicken, you can reduce your CO2 emission to its tenth. You can still eat meat and do a huge favor to nature!

I believe these two examples alone show how ecological it is to be vegetarian. Of course, I’m not asking you to become one. Most vegetarians didn’t become vegetarians because they wanted to protect the Earth, but simply because it makes them feel good. I’m not a vegetarian either. I like meat and I’m not planning on putting it down. However in the past 5-6 years I started eating less meat. My body and soul are grateful for it, I feel much better. And this way, I  get to protect our planet too. By doing this, I made my life better in many ways. I’m not saying I don’t eat beef at all, but I decreased the amount of my intake. Once in a while, on special holidays I eat a beefstake and sometimes I make a big pot of beef goulash too. I used to eat a lot of beef, now I rarely do. The quality of my life hasn’t gone any worse, if anything it’s become even better…

DRDE

If you are interested in reading a book which talks even further about the topic above as well as many other life changing concepts click here. But don’t forget that the answers to Life’s great questions can only truly be found in yourself! This book as well as this blog can only help you find your own way there...



 If you believe this writing could be helpful to others please share this blog with them. You can find the icons of sharing and transmitting via Email below. You can help stop climate change and increase global happinness by sharing this blog with others and letting them know it exists.

I would be glad to hear your further ideas or constructive cristism, which you can share with me in a comment below the article. 

If you find this blog worthwhile, please follow it. You can find the icon for “regular reading” on the top right (if you’re on your phone, scroll down to the bottom).

 

Post a Comment

0 Comments